Friday, November 18, 2011

Lean on Me

"I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, old and new."
-- Will Carleton

I've been thinking a lot about my friends the last few weeks and how this life would be impossible without them. The MCFL staff recently lost a treasured colleague, ( please see Miss Kitty's blog post http://misskittypresents.blogspot.com/2011/10/for-fran.html ) and for me, I lost a dear friend. Fran and I laughed until it hurt. Laughed until we cried. She offered advice without lecture. We shared a love of music.  I enjoyed everything about her.

I am left wondering if she knew the impact she had on me. I hope I expressed that to her. I hope she knew how much I liked her being in my life.  I began to wonder if I tell people often enough how important they are to me.  I hope the friends in my life do not wonder if I could do without them.....because I couldn't. They are our chosen family.

We are (already!) coming upon Thanksgiving. It's a good time to tell the special people in your life what they mean to you, so you never have to wonder if they know.

The following video gets to me every time I see it. It may be two Great Danes; but it is the story of friendship. We lean on each other. We take the lead when the other cannot see -- see that things will get better; see that there is hope and love and goodness. We guide. We wait. We stand by their side until they can walk more freely on their own. And sometimes we are just there, at a silent distance, holding them in our hearts.




((Update: Lily and Maddison have been adopted together by a loving family))


I would like to dedicate this to the friends in my life who guide me when I can not see.


“What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?”
-- George Eliot



Go out with your friends out this weekend!

The great Bel Marin Keys Holiday Warehouse and Studio Sale!
http://www.belmarinkeysale.com/


The San Francisco Hip Hop Dance Fest at the Palace of Fine Arts

http://www.sfhiphopdancefest.com/

A nice walk in the Marin Headlands
http://www.nps.gov/goga/marin-headlands.htm


...with breakfast at the Dipsea Cafe in Mill Valley afterward (( I highly recommend the waffle! ))

1 comment:

  1. Thank you...I have been holding in these tears entirely too long!

    ReplyDelete